Embedded sensors and ubiquitous digital communication networks are enabling a world where ‘dumb’ and ‘silent’ infrastructure assets are springing to life. These assets are becoming increasingly intelligent, connected and self-aware.
Intelligent infrastructure holds the potential to create new models of asset management, allaying fears of uncertainty about the lifespan, and declining availability of funds for maintenance and upkeep. Shared business cases for co-investment and city management systems could create a new resilience to increasing shocks and stresses.
Some of the key INTELLIGENT INFRASTRUCTURE questions that could be explored across the Venturefest programme include:
- What needs to change in the Planning System to enable the delivery of ‘digitally enabled’ places?
- Who will design and build smart homes, how do they know what the market wants and needs?
- Is effective city management based on real-time big data more important than personal privacy?
- How will VR and AR impact on the future public realm?
- Can IoT help deliver infrastructure that is resilient to climate change and other stresses?